This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

qpmarl blog

Here you will find personal information about my life as well as everything that I find apropriate and interesting enough to share with the world.

Thursday, May 06, 2004

 
Hey, I got a blog now so everyone(who cares) can keep updated with what's going on in my life. I'll try to update once a day - or every couple of days.

I'm in Floodwood, MN right now. I'll be leaving for Afton, MN on Monday. I'll be looking for a job there and will probably be there for a while.

I'm still using my old 800 MHz Athlon Computer with an 80gig HD. I upgraded the ram to 384 Mb, which is the max for my motherboard because it can't handle DIMMs larger than 128 Mb and only has 3 slots. It's quite outdated now with 3+ GHz machines available, but it's fast enough for me. I don't really care about state of the art videogames or pushing my system to it's limits anymore.

I do not use any Microsoft products at all now. I've removed Windows XP from my harddrive since I've hardly used it at all in the last few months. So I don't have any problem with worms like Blaster, Welchia, or Sasser. No more danger from Columbian vbs script viruses either.

I recommend Linux to everyone who knows what a harddrive is and how it is different from RAM. You don't need Windows with all of it's security holes and 4 hours-to-download updates. Linux does not need to be rebooted all the time to run correctly. I haven't shutdown or rebooted for 4 days and 10 hours and my system is running as smoothly as ever. I only reboot for power outages or when I decide to add some functionality to my kernel. Linux has a wider range of available eye candy as well. It's really not that hard to learn. If you've been around since the MS-DOS days or have learned to use the command line in windows, they you should have no problem learning linux's commands and options. You really don't need to use them much once you have things setup the way you want - if you find the right linux distribution with a nice graphical installation program, you might never need to use them at all if you are comfortable with the distributions default configurations. Most distros come with a ton of software including simple games, office applications, and graphics tools. I've seen a lot of people who are impressed with the linux screen savers (xscreensaver) and want to know if they can get a particular one for windows -- see http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/ for the anser. Oh, and Linux is truly free - You don't have to pirate it. I currently use the gentoo distribution www.gentoo.org.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home