This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

qpmarl blog

Here you will find personal information about my life as well as everything that I find apropriate and interesting enough to share with the world.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

 

$25 mousepad

They got a $25 mousepad over at thinkgeek... I don't think I've ever paid that much for a mouse, let alone a mousepad.

The best mousepad I ever had was the top part of an old cdrom drive (just the top piece of the metal enclosure). It was basically just a 6"x8" (roughly) piece of metal bent over at each edge (helped it stay on the arm of my armchair). I used it so much that it became polished where my hand and fingers rested on it. But the texture of the metal was perfect for nearly every mouse I ever used (optical or not). The rigidity of it allowed mousing on non-rigid surfaces like the arm of my armchair (was burned when my parents moved - the best armchair I ever had - but that's another story). It actually didn't work so well on a hard flat surface (like a desk) because it would tend to slide around with nothing to hold it in place and the center was suspended 1/4" or so above the table by the edges, so it would tend to get bent and I'd have to straighten it. I think still have the mousepad around here somewhere, though it has become a bit rusty from disuse - the rust causes some performance issues. I haven't used it much in the last few years. I'm not even sure which box of junk it's in. I may have thrown it away.

Comments:
Yeah, that chair was pretty sweet. Too bad it's history. The arm alone was a pretty good mousing surface for any optical mouse. And it was about the perfect height for that computer desk that dad and I build, which is currently at Faith and Pat's house. Faith said something about dad wanting to keep it but not having any room to take it to WY. I'm thinking that I might take it to school with me; it was a pretty practical desk, and being made out of 3/4" oak plywood, it was sturdy, too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home