This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

qpmarl blog

Here you will find personal information about my life as well as everything that I find apropriate and interesting enough to share with the world.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

 

Airport post - over a month old

I wrote this on my way to Orlando for Thanksgiving, then forgot about it and never uploaded it. Well, here it is.

Airport Wireless
$6.95 for 24 hrs of access, but airport sites are free

The old way: Wander around the airport until you find a working arrivals/departures display. Then wait for your flight to scroll on by, unless you're too early and it isn't being displayed yet. And stand there looking like an idiot.

The new way: Fire up your laptop with its wireless 802.11x ethernet card, connect to the airports network, scoff at the $6.95 access fee (I'm not paying that!), load the free FlightArrivals.com webpage, enter your airline and flight number, and there you have it. All the information you ever wanted to know about the flight - where it's coming from (Denver), what time it left there, the temperature there, what type of aircraft it is, when it is expected to arrive (at MSP), its current speed and altitude, expected air traffic delays, the temperature at the destination, the expected departure time (from MSP), the scheduled arrival time at the next destination (MCO), the temperature there.

Now my only problem is the lack of power outlets here at MSP gate G22. My power hungry laptop is longing for a steady supply of electricity, but the only outlet in sight would require that I sit on the floor over by the pay phones. Come on now, I need to keep my battery charged up for the flight.

Comments:
Yea, paying for wireless is stupid--it should be free everywhere. Also, I know what you mean about power outlets in airports. Even when you do find one, there are already several people sitting in the vicinity with the Lucky Two harvesting the precious commodity so that they might be able to watch a good movie for free on their flights.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home