This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

qpmarl blog

Here you will find personal information about my life as well as everything that I find apropriate and interesting enough to share with the world.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

 

Camping in Wyoming

We took the Southens to the camp that my parents have been hunting from for several years. My mom and dad had taken one load with two pack horses of gear out to the camp a few nights before. Two people had to walk out because there were seven people and only six horses, but one horse had a pack. We borrowed two horses(Sass and Taco) from a friend. Our horses were Eboniet(the black), Windy, Lynn, and Selena(the short one Marc rode on the way out).

Park and unload the horses. Beyond this point it's classified Wilderness Area and motorized equipment and vehicles are not allowed.


We had six horses in the trailer. A few of them got scraped up pretty bad and the trailer gate got bent.


Doug and Suzanne Southen.


Eric Southen behind the pack horse, which I was leading.


Marc Southen and my mom on the trail.


There's still snow up here - in the middle of July.


One of two bearboxes at the camp... All food and stuff must be locked in here.


We had a lot of fun, after lunch, we went out for another short ride past the camp into the range where my parents go hunting. We saw a herd of Elk(too far away for a good picture), and lots of beautiful country. My dad says that these pictures don't give a very accurate depiction of Wyoming - they've had a lot more rain than normal and it's harly ever as green as it is now. There are colorful wildflowers everywhere.

We had moose steak, rice, and potatoes for dinner. My dad brought a LOT of moose steak and we ended up having moose for dinner, then for breakfast and lunch the next day.

Packing up for the trip back out. This is the unloaded pack saddle on Sass.


The loaded pack with a tarp over everything - it was raining a bit.


My dad on Lynn carying the gun and leading the pack horses. This is real western riding. This is what I looked like the day before, except that I was riding Taco(he's the first packhorse in this picture) and leading Lynn with a pack - I even had the gun(we just had the gun for bear protection 'cause there are bears in this area). Taco and Sass are experienced packhorses, but are good riding horses as well. Taco doesn't take a bit, so I had ridden him with a hackamore.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home