This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

qpmarl blog

Here you will find personal information about my life as well as everything that I find apropriate and interesting enough to share with the world.

Monday, January 23, 2006

 

I almost drilled into my eye

Today I was bolting the end piece of a waterslide. It's the very last piece which dumps into the pool. These pieces are always tough because they have to be bolted in place and there's very little room between the seam and the ground and/or concrete - and the last piece is totally enclosed except the very back where it is bolted. The one I was doing today was particularly bad (they're always different because the pool design is always different).

I had just enough room to get my arm behind the seam while laying on the ground. Only the end piece has holes pre-drilled in it, so I have to drill through the end piece out.

While drilling one of the highest holes, the only way I could get the drill in there was lay nearly flat on the ground and stick my arm into the opening up to my shoulder with my elbow bent to get the drill in the right spot.

In this position, my head was at the same height as the drill. I was aware of this and was keeping my head away from the seam, but the drill bit came through a little faster and farther than I expected. I had to jerk my head out of the way to avoid getting drilled in the eye. It could have been bad.

As it happens, the only injury I sustained on that seam was a skinned knuckle.

Comments:
Wow, sounds like it was almost the nailgun incident all over again. Does your employer provide medical coverage? If you have to work like that, he'd better. BP (the company for which my employer is a contractor) has a safety policy that says if you feel unsafe doing a job, no one can insist that you do it until you feel that it has been made safe.

Later,
 
Philip - you are the poster child for belief that there are guardian angels. Please be careful. I kind-of like having you around as a brother.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home